Saturday, March 04, 2006

Then they came for me...

Recently I wrote in a piece called 'Dissident Voices'

''I wonder how things will be in the future? Political bloggers, writers, reporters, commenters - are you afraid of what may be coming?''

Now I find that one of my favourite bloggers, World Weary Detective has been censored...

'On Friday 3rd March 2006, the Management Board of the Metropolitan Police Service issued the following statement to all members of staff:'Recently the organisation has become aware of a series of web-logs or blogs - where authors - claiming to be police officers - have offered their views on a number of issues in a highly personalised, often controversial manner.'This statement is followed by 'guidance' on writing blogs. In summary, this states that although 'blogging' cannot be stopped, the 'impact of expressing views and opinions that are damaging to the organisation or bring the organisation into disrepute' must be considered. Disciplinary proceedings may be considered against posters of material that may be (among other things) defamatory, offensive or otherwise inappropriate.I have committed no crime. I have compromised no police operations. I have received no payment for anything published on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own.It is therefore with deep regret and great sadness that I must announce that I will no longer be submitting posts to this blog. I cannot challenge New Scotland Yard. I am weary indeed and cowardice is my bedmate. The protection of my family must take precedence.To each and every one of you - take note of what has happened here and be afraid.'

Remember. And speak out, whilst you still can.

3 Comments:

Blogger MuppetLord said...

I've posted about it as well. Linking to this post.

March 05, 2006 12:15 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

State oppression of freedom of expression starting with their own employees. Sites such as yours must keep going as a result of this. Hopefully WWD will adopt another name and keep commenting elsewhere...

March 05, 2006 7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi rachel,

i saw the "then they came for me" poster last week in a government office. i am wondering if you could possibly post it here?

alls well in ny...btw i found out that nation grid owns several american power companies and is called "national greed" :)

seth

March 05, 2006 11:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home