Thursday, April 06, 2006

Time off, and time in front of the Home Secretary

I have been officially signed off work for a few weeks with exhaustion. The last nine months since July 7th have led to me getting very run down last week saw me going down with bronchitis yet again. ( How many chest infections have I had since I got out that tunnel?) It is good to take a bit of a breather, I needed it. I have busied myself trying to make something positive out of the whole atrocity: writing, setting up Kings Cross United and being involved with the running of the group, dealing with many emails and enquiries, meeting with many people involved in July 7th, asking for an independent public inquiry, trying to look after people, trying to find answers. It has been like having two jobs. Much positive stuff has come out of it all, but all this had a cost and the cost has been my health. I have not looked after myself very well, and of course, there comes a time when all the activity in the world does not actually make you feel any better. So, time out, doctor's note, work being very supportive, me being very grateful for the rest.

Of course, it has not completely gone away, it never does. Every day there are emails, ( and I like emails, I like hearing from people, it just takes time to keep on top of it all) , every day there is news about July 7th - and I am still watching the news, more than ever. I had a very good counselling session yesterday when I was able to deal with some of the more nasty effects relating to survivor guilt. I have not had the recurring dream for two weeks, though two nights ago I dreamed of a dead body and a toxic contagion poisoning me. I do feel things are getting better though, and not being in the office, and being able to rest and to sleep helps a great deal. And the sun is out, the daffodils are out, green shoots and buds cover bare branches and there is a sense of hope after a long hard winter.

I blogged recently about the forthcoming meeting with my father, myself and the Home Secretary and the questions I wanted to raise. I am pleased to report that yesterday a letter arrived from Charles Clarke addressed to me c/o my parent's house, and it covered some of the questions that I had flagged up in my blog that I was hoping to raise at the ten minute meeting. This was most helpful and I am grateful for it, and gratified to see that Mr. Clarke, or people in the Home Office are reading my blog. Hello to my Home Office readers!

My mother read Mr. Clarke's letter out to me over the phone. I haven't seen it yet but I will see it tonight when I take a late train to Norwich to stay with my parents. There is a Kings Cross United pub session tonight, then I will rush to Norwich and we will see Mr. Clarke tomorrow morning, and stay with my parents for a short while.

I am sure that it will be a most interesting meeting tomorrow, and I will, of course, report back about it on my blog. Thank you to everyone who has sent in interesting suggestions as to what I could ask Mr. Clarke in the meeting, unfortunately I don't think there will be time to to cover all of them but they have certainly provided great food for thought.

5 Comments:

Blogger Devil's Kitchen said...

Perhaps you could ask him this:

"Erm, Charles, tell me, are you having a starter...?"

DK

April 06, 2006 12:21 pm  
Blogger Sila said...

Have a nice break, Rachel, and enjoy tonight's meeting..I wish I could be there with all of you,
Silvia

April 06, 2006 12:39 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel. It's good to see a politician/his office, interacting with the public. Do you think that Mr Clarke will actually take action based on what you say? After all, he has resisted the enquiry so far.

In addition, if an enquiry is launched, how confident are you that it will actually be an enquiry that is independant, will look at ALL evidence and senarious, and not be a whitewash as many, many people said about the FASC, Butler and Hutton enquiries?

I hope you are successful in your persuit of an independant enquiry.

April 06, 2006 9:09 pm  
Blogger fjl said...

get some sleep xx thanks for your mail. I know how you feel about the blank space :-). Remember, the journey begins here. So sleep well. But you have a taste for discovery I know you do xx Best of.

April 06, 2006 10:02 pm  
Blogger Clare said...

Have a nice break Rachel as it sounds like it's just what you need.

April 08, 2006 11:56 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home