Thursday, November 23, 2006

KCU ladies vs. bars and guitars

Spent the afternoon in town, long lunch of sweet mussels in broth with my friend Katrina. Then some of the Kings Cross United ladies had a night out tonight, (with friends) at the Forum, Kentish Town, where Rodrigo y Gabriela were playing. I say 'playing', they were in fact ripping sounds out of two guitars at such speed that if they were plucking chickens, the air would be a blizzard of feathers. Smashing their instruments to release thundering tribal rhythms, releasing torrents of pizzicato notes into complex Bach-ian melodies that Jaques Lousier would envy, their foot-stamping energy lifting the audience like a wave until we sweated and roared, exhilerated by a physically virtuoisic performance still-hot from the summer's festivals, rippling with the sinuously muscular rhythms of South America. (By way of Ireland and Metallica and Led Zep and Pink Floyd.) Hell, they are uncategorisable. Go check them out ( Jool's Holland Later)

And this is wild . How their fingers do not bleed, I don't know.
Diabolo Rojo. Saved the best til last . Live is better, the videos don't give you half an idea of the jumping in the room.

UPDATE: Evening Standard review

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow....fabulous. I used to be a music student with guitar as my first instrument. What lovely memories that brought back.

November 24, 2006 7:58 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say it sounds grim work to me. I know the place though , its pretty close .I `m in Islington
Is this world music ? Scourge of the age and audio women`s magazine ?Yukettypuk

I used to be in a Soul band ...we were crap !!!Had the right idea though

November 24, 2006 5:24 pm  
Blogger Bretters said...

Oooh... Thanks SO much for this - They are truly fab! You may not have seen this..?

http://www.transbuddha.com/mediaHolder.php?id=576#

Bretters

November 25, 2006 10:59 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home