Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Books and links

A book-orientated day today. In Search of Adam by Caroline Smailes is a book I am fascinated by and really looking forward to reading, especially after reading this review.

I still have a giant pile of books to read and review, even after a marathon read-a-thon on honeymoon, so if I have promised to review your book and not done so yet, huge apologies. I still have a lot of thank you letters to write to wedding guests as well, and links to add for the Find FJL! bloggers' campaign, so am very sorry about that too, and will sort it as as soon as I can.

I spent the whole morning with Peter Zimonjic, who is writing a book about 7/7, Into the Darkness, (out in October). I was helping him with the Kings' Cross chapters. And then I read the weekend's Sunday Times, whilst I travelled back on the tube, and seethed about the new terror laws, ( about which more later because I have to go out now and I am still too fed up to write calmly about it). I was so sad when I read this story about all the warning signs of extremism in MSK, lead 7/7 bomber, as described by his brother.

Godammit, though, it is so heartbreaking. So many chances. Such a life, so many lives, that could have been saved if something had been different. An angry, passionate, arrogant young man. A family row. A fork in the road. And a decision made, time passing, then 52 dead, 800 injured. But nobody wanted to hear what was going on: the fizzing anger, the egotistical despair, the extremist gang of new 'brothers'. Until it was too late.

I rushed about all afternoon today, took a lot of calls, said no, I can't talk to you, not yet, I am so sorry, please hang fire, please wait 'til I can tell you it all. Then I spoke to the police again. And now I am rushing off again to teach beginner's dance class and I can't find any of my kit and argh, why is my life never quiet?

5 Comments:

Blogger Ally said...

Quiet = Boring.

But I admit, boring would be nice, sometimes :).

May 29, 2007 7:35 pm  
Blogger pierre l said...

It is good that you are able to get on with your life, in spite of the stalker. Hopefully, by now every internet cafe and every public library is aware of her.

May 29, 2007 8:41 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Firstly, let me say I hope the un-hinged individual who sees it as acceptable to stalk you is caught.

Secondly, in regards to the "anti-terror" laws that are supposed to be passed... I work in a Government building (although today is my last day), I can't work here any more. It's a flipping joke. To work for them makes me feel like I think it's ok to take people's liberties away. Do they not understand the more extreme they go, the more extreme the terrorists will get. I don't remember our government behaving like this towards ordinary people at the height of the IRA conflict. Maybe I'm wrong, but I wasn't frightened that I might be caught doing something the government percieves to be wrong.

Anyway... enough ranting from me. I think I shall come back more from now on.

May 30, 2007 9:02 am  
Blogger Penny Pincher said...

Hi Rachel - I'm a great reader too - But on Honeymoon?? What a waste of time girl. Or are you like me - with a book in one hand while multi tasking on other (not sure what word to use here)... well, cooking is a good example!

May 30, 2007 4:43 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Ah, I love reading, and when I am on holiday, reading on the beach is such a treat!

May 30, 2007 4:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home