Friday, June 15, 2007

In Search of Adam


I read this a few days ago, and it made me cry. It is a book of quite extraordinary power and grace, and it hurts to read it. It is painful the way music is painful, the way growing up is painful, the way love is painful; it closes the throat, thumps you in the gut and - this is the power of the book - it stays in you, and stretches your soul taut, and afterwards, your heart beats harder and more strongly, because of what it has learned about love and loss and cruelty, and the price paid in innocence. It is something that I think as many people as possible should read, if they can bear it. Congratulations to the author Caroline Smailes, for the most affecting, and extraordinary book of the year so far.

Amazon - or bookshops as of now
Caroline's blog, Ms. Melancholy's Review,DoveGreyReader's review,Daily Straying's Review

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger hesitant scribe said...

A lovely review Rachel. It seems you are making each other cry. This, in a strange way, inspires me. I hope I can make people cry one day too! I have so far lacked the courage to be too truthful in my writing but between you both, I am getting there!

Do pop over and see Caroline's review of your autobiography if you haven't already.

July 23, 2007 8:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home