Monday, May 05, 2008

Long weekend

I have been very spoiled this long weekend. On Saturday we went to our friends' new flat and had barbecued fish and giant shrimp on their balcony overlooking the Thames in East London. A railway line runs past the converted warehouse, and we heard barks and cries as we ate; looking out of the window we saw a family of foxes playing by the railway line, dark red cubs somersaulting and tumbling in the long wet grass. Everything has gone green and lush, it's verdant late spring at last, at long last.

Down by the river I saw the creamy foaming sprays of Queen Anne's Lace flowering, wild garlic, bluebells, blossom petals dropping from laden branches and floating downstream. As we admired the view, bats swooped past our heads as the sky turned indigo. I stood luxuriating in good company and good cheer, muscles aching after combat class. The evenings are finally warm enough to sit outside without a coat. And I'm sleeping properly again. It makes such a difference.

On Sunday our friend Russell arrived at our flat with a leg of lamb, a handful of herbs and a bag of vegetables and proceeded to cook us delicious Sunday lunch with mininum fuss ''because I love you both and you are my friends''. Afterwards J's best man rolled up with more wine, and has just left after sleeping on the sofa. I've just found that Poons has done a wonderful review of my book, which made get a bit weepy but in a good way.

Tonight J's Mum and stepdad are taking us out for dinner, and then to the theatre to celebrate J's birthday and our wedding anniversary. Dad has just told me that he is going to California, to visit my sister who is working there on a contract. Flying into the sun, to the place mythologised when he was a young man in the sixties.

These are good days, days to be treasured, all the sweeter because there were times that I forgot to trust that they would come.

I hope you are having a good bank holiday weekend. What are you up to?

4 Comments:

Blogger pierre l said...

Hello Rachel. It's nice to see you having a happy quiet weekend after what must be stressful attendance at trials and political writing.
Happy birthday to J, and happy wedding anniversary to both of you.
Without expecting you to reveal any secrets, I hope we are going to see another book from you eventually.

May 05, 2008 11:29 am  
Blogger Kris said...

A very plesant weekend indeed!

California is a wonderful tonic. While politically charged and quirky at the best of times - it is also an extremely positive place to be; anything's possible there.

I am trying to finagle a trip out there myself.

May 05, 2008 2:02 pm  
Blogger Sage said...

Sounds like a great friend, someone who will cook a meal just because... what a great person.

Bank holiday weekends, usually full of crowds and bad weather.. well this was a turn up for the books, wall to wall sunshine and good company :-)

Have been pottering round the garden seeing what has survived the winter and weeding out the dandelions.. have managed to get a new gadget from maplins that charges not only my phone, but also my bluetooth headset and my other half's as well - well chuffed.

Hope everyone has had a good weekend

May 05, 2008 5:33 pm  
Blogger Pete Kavanagh said...

Glad to hear you guys are having some well deserved good times. We had cousins, grandparents and siblings in the garden for pizza and sunshine yesterday. I planted some sweetpeas and sunflowers and the dog slept through it all...

Hope to see you soon

xxx

May 05, 2008 9:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home