Friday, May 23, 2008

Some good news

I have just spoken to my uncle on the bedside phone! He is just out of theatre. They don't know what it is, but they know it is not a blood clot or a swollen artery in the brain, or a tumour, or a stroke, as first thought. It is a great relief to hear his voice after surgery and have a good chat and to tell him my news. He is very happy to hear about how many people have been wishing him well. He'll probably have to have another operation, to explore more, but at least, for now, he's flat on his back, getting excellent care, and somewhat reassured to know that he is not in immediate danger, though he still can't use his eye and is in a lot of pain. Third nerve palsy. Cause unknown.That's all we know so far. I'm going to visit him tomorrow morning, he needs to rest today and Dad is going this afternoon. Thank you for the messages wishing him a return to good health which are very much appreciated and have been passed on.

The other good news.

A while ago I wrote about my publishers, The Friday Project, going into liquidation. The deal with the liquidator is now completed, and I am pleased to confirm that my book, Out of the Tunnel has been taken over by Harper Collins and will now be sold and published by them.

Whilst stock moves over to the new distributors it might be hard to get hold of for a few weeks, but that should iron out soon and it's still in bookshops because I saw a copy the other day. I'm pleased, and I will get my royalties after all. So the small charity I support will get some money as I promised and it will help pay for the new kitchen. Which is almost completed, so I can start to put the house back together and bring order out of chaos. At the moment the pans are in the garden, the glasses in the kitchen, the dried goods in the study and everywhere is a total mess, covered in plaster dust and it is driving me mad.

I hope you get some time to chill over the Bank Holiday weekend - I'm going to drop into the Cambridge Beer Festival after visiting my uncle as a mate is managing one of the bars.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Brennig said...

Good news on multiple fronts. I'm pleased that Out of the Tunnel has found a new - and very reputable - home. :-)

May 23, 2008 2:23 pm  
Blogger Andy Ramblings said...

Brilliant news again on all fronts.
Have a Great week-end, and I do hope the weather doesn't rain on the party.

May 23, 2008 5:46 pm  
Blogger Vanessa said...

Great news - I'm glad that your uncle is progressing well and that this week was satisfying in other ways.

May 23, 2008 7:46 pm  
Blogger zoe said...

Fantastic news for you about everything - good luck and I do hope that your uncle is out of hospital very, very soon :)

May 23, 2008 8:01 pm  
Blogger pierre l said...

It's good to read encouraging info about your uncle and also good to know that your book has found a new publisher. Have a nice quiet weekend.

May 23, 2008 11:02 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

Thank you everyone...

Well, I will be spending the weekend putting my flat back together now the kitchen is ( almost finished).

This week started off horribly with the news about my uncle on top of the other stuff going on,

but it ended on a high note. And now 3 days off!

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

May 24, 2008 10:44 am  
Blogger MarkF said...

Great news on all fronts - just shame about the typical Bank Holiday weather eh ?

May 25, 2008 10:58 am  
Blogger Rachel said...

Bloody typical.I was going to go to the festival but it is too wet.

:-(

May 25, 2008 1:59 pm  
Blogger Zinnia Cyclamen said...

So glad to read all your good news. Your book deserves to have a wide audience and a long shelf life. I hope you had a great weekend despite the weather.

May 26, 2008 6:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home