Sunday, January 04, 2009

Gaza: the aid worker's diary

For those who have not already found it, this diary of an aid worker is compelling, terrible reading.

The first entry was 27 December, and ended

'I used to describe what was going on in Gaza as a catastrophe, now I have no words. I received news that the brother of one of my work colleagues has been killed in the attacks. They had been looking for him all day and discovered him under the ruins of a destroyed building.'

read more....

Gaza has an overwhelmingly young population: over half of whom being between the age of infancy to 14 years (50.3%) and 25.7% were between the ages of 15 and 29. About 13.6% were between the ages of 30 to 44, 7.7% between ages 45 to 65 and 3.9% were over the age of 64.

source: Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics

4 Comments:

Blogger Phil said...

This whole business is absolutely sickening. How some can write this off because Hamas are 'nasty' must have hearts of granite.

Coming down to the demo on Saturday?

January 05, 2009 8:46 pm  
Blogger Rachel said...

I won't be coming to the demonstration because I cannot march with those who call that we are all Hamas/Hezbollah; I cannot support Israel's actions, which are abhorrent & war crimes, but nor will I support Hamas.

I'll be donating a day's wages to the Red Cross instead.

January 06, 2009 1:38 pm  
Blogger Debi said...

Your clarity and your ability to see through the simplistic slogans to the complexities is heartwarming, Rachel.

So glad there are people like you out there.

January 15, 2009 2:35 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Here is an Al Jazeera video showing the use of white phosphorus against civilians in Gaza:
YouTube

January 17, 2009 12:30 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home